registered primary is actually a secondary server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 01:08:57 UTC 2000

Larry Snyder wrote:

> I use telocity for my DSL and I want my machine behind the telocity DSL to
> serve as my primary DNS server.
>
> when submitting DNS updates for servers to network solutions they refuse to
> register my fixed IP assigned by telocity without their approval (saying
> that this address belongs to them and they must approve).
>
> I have 2 other machines on the net both setup as secondaries - using my
> Telocity DSL as their primary.  Can I just submit one of these to network
> solutions as a primary (even though it's actually a secondary?)

That should work. Actually, registrars shouldn't care at all whether your
machines are configured as "master" or "slave", since a delegation is just a
delegation from their standpoint. For all they know, *all* of the delegated
nameservers might be configured as slaves (with a "hidden" master replicating
to all of them) or they might all be configured as masters (using some sort of
out-of-band replication mechanism), or some mixture of the two. The fact that
the nameserver update forms typically say "primary" and "secondary" is just an
irrelevant anachronism.

- Kevin