$ORIGIN in Bind 9

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 21 00:13:30 UTC 2000

montgemia at my-Deja.com wrote:

> Thanks the first suggestion fixed the problem. Does the $ORIGIN just
> need to exist once in the reverse file or multiple times? If once where
> is the best place to put it, I tried puting it at the top of the file
> with the $TTL, but that just caused bind to crash, should it go later
> in the file, or does it need to exist after every record.

You don't need any $ORIGIN's in your zone files at all; they're completely
optional. The identity of the zone itself is the default origin, e.g. if
you load a zonefile as 101.168.192.in-addr.arpa, then
101.168.192.in-addr.arpa is the default origin. $ORIGIN directives just
save a little typing if you're manually maintaining a zonefile and have
"clumps" of records in a particular subdomain or, less likely, a bunch of
long RDATAs (right-hand-side's) which all happen to be clumped in a
certain domain. But then, nobody maintains zonefiles manually any more, do
they? :-)

- Kevin