BIND 8 memory leak symptoms

Jimmy Kyriannis jimmy.kyriannis at nyu.edu
Mon Nov 20 07:21:15 UTC 2000

At 09:04 PM 11/19/00, Mark.Andrews at nominum.com wrote:
>         Well if you apply the tuning above it should plateau after a 1:15
>         hours of of operation.   Otherwise there are kinks a 1, 2, 3, 24,
>         48, 72 hours after startup being typical ttls.  The max_cache_ttl
>         is 7 days.

Without delving into the source to better understand the caching functions,
however, by forcing an artificially low upper limit to any TTLs, it sounds
like we're trading off local resident cache size for interactive
response.  By increasing the likelihood for cache misses due to the server
flushing 1-hour old RRs, I'd expect we're forcing increased network
activity and the frequency of RR lookups.  Do you have any stats or
observational info on what performance shifts occur as the max TTLs are
lowered?  This would appear to be an issue for very large caching nameservers.

Thanks,

Jimmy