Unexpected Error

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Nov 20 05:58:16 UTC 2000

> I'm using bind-9.0.1 on FreeBSD 4.1.1.
>
> Daemon log says,
>   entropy.c  unexpected error.
>   fcntl        Inappropriate  ioctl for device
>
> I tried to check the meaning of this message
> by using loggin option (debug level = 3) , but
> no error message couldn't found in named.run.
>
> DNS server seems to work without any trouble.
> Is this message a negligible ?
> Could you tell me, what happen and how to resove it ?
>
> -------------------------------------
> LAC Co., LTD.
> Matsuhiko Saito

	From README

                On FreeBSD systems, the server logs error messages
                like "fcntl(8, F_SETFL, 4): Inappropriate ioctl for
                device".  This is due to a bug in the FreeBSD
                /dev/random device.  The bug has been reported
                to the FreeBSD maintainers.  Versions of OpenBSD
                prior to 2.8 have a similar problem.

	Also
		http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=19863

	Mark