Startup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 16 23:40:50 UTC 2000

Falvo, Jose Luis - (Arg) wrote:

> Hi All,
> Anybody could tell me how I make for startup and configure bind on solaris.
> Are there any document or redme for do it ?
> Thanks,

On Solaris 7 and later, the /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc script has code to check for
/etc/named.conf and runs /usr/sbin/in.named if both the config file and the
executable exist. On previous versions of Solaris, it checks for
/etc/named.boot instead. But it's trivial to just change the filename in that
script if you happen to be running BIND 8 on the box.

As for configuring, there are sample configs in the BIND distribution, plenty
of online information (start with www.isc.org, for instance) and of course,
"the book" (_DNS_and_BIND_ from O'Reilly). How you configure BIND depends on a
number of different factors, e.g. what you want to do, how your network is
structured, etc. There is no one "generic" config that suits everyone.

- Kevin