Does named use multithreading?

David R. Conrad david.conrad at nominum.com
Thu Nov 16 19:35:11 UTC 2000

Just to be clear, BIND version 8 is event driven using a select() loop and
BIND version 9 is event driven with multiple threads (each thread handling
a queue of events).  On a single processor system, the result is
essentially the same (some argue that the threading overhead make the
multi-thread model less efficient, but I haven't seen any evidence of this
in practice).

The difference isn't particularly relevant to answering queries.  Where the
BINDv9 model definitely wins in when is when it is reloading zones.  BINDv8
goes deaf.  BINDv9 continues to answer queries.

Rgds,
-drc