Can't find server name for address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Tiago Cury - Sun do Brasil Tiago.Cury at brazil.sun.com
Thu Nov 16 14:00:46 UTC 2000

> 	I have a DNS server configured at 200.190.167.75, the domain
> name is cipher.com.br, it's working well but every time i try to enter in
> nslookup from a client i got the following message:
>
> *** Can't find server name for address 200.190.167.75: Non-existent
host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available
>
> 	When i go into server, it resolves ok his name.
> 	Our network block is 200.190.167.72/29
> 	Maybe something wrong with reverse lookups?

To test your DNS server do:

ping 200.190.167.75
if (not ok)
   verify your network and firewall rules;
else
   telnet 200.190.167.75 53
   if (not ok - Connection refused)
      verify your firewall rules;
      start de named daemon on server to listen connections in port 53;
   else
     verify your named.conf and zone files;
end.