OK don't laugh...

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 16 03:43:56 UTC 2000

ais wrote:

> Now you guys have probably had some pretty dumb questions but here is a real
> doozie or doozies rather....
>
> I running my own virtual server at iserver (verio) with dns provided by
> them. I want to learn more about dns, so I would like to set up my own dns
> server (I know I need 2).
>
> Question is can I utilise my virtual server and setup the dns server as a
> subdomain on the my server - what are the pro's and cons?
>
> Also the server server runs FreeBSD/Apache so what do I need to install ?

FreeBSD already comes with BIND, but depending on what version you're running,
you may want to obtain a newer version that doesn't have any known security
problems. See http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2000-20.html.

Beyond that, you'd need iserver/verio to delegate the subdomain to your
servers, if you want your nameservers to be queried for those names by the
Internet at large.

And if you're starting out with DNS, you really need the _DNS_and_BIND_ book
from O'Reilly, widely considered "the bible" for DNS and BIND.

- Kevin