Please let me know How to use forward and fowarders.

ynishimura at home.nimc.go.jp ynishimura at home.nimc.go.jp
Wed Nov 15 04:21:09 UTC 2000

Dear sirs

I am a user of FreeBSD 2.2.8 with bind8.2.2pl5.
I have two firewalls and two networks.  One is Firewall One baught from Check
point and has been used for Internet connection. Another is Natd of FreeBSD and
will be used to make my own private network..

                                                 aist.go.jp
internal
                        1)                       150.29.xx.xx             3)
192.168.0.xx
Internet------Firewall-------------------------NATRouter----------
                 Bind8.2.2pl5 forInternet            |              Bind8.2.2pl5
for inside of natrouter
                 FireWallOne                            |
Non-authority
                  has authority                         |
                                                         2) DNS
                                                           Bind8.2.2pl5 for
150.29.xx.xx
                                                           Non-authority

I  had difficulties on using Bind8.2.2 with NAT router.

The users at aist.go.jp can query IP address  of aist.go.jp from DNS(2) and
those of Internet by Firewall(1)

The users at internal  can query IP adress of internal to NATRouter(3) and those
of Internet to Firewall(1), but cannot sometimes query those of  aist.go.jp to
DNS(2).  Other functions works well.

I put network-analyzer into the upper port of NATRouter and found DNS cmd
packets some times went to Firewall(1) not to DNS(2)

Please let me know the reasons why not.

The following is the  named.conf on NatROUTER

// $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.conf,v 1.5.2.1 1999/08/29 14:19:30 peter Exp $

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";

        allow-query{
                192.168.0/24;