BIND Version

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Nov 14 02:21:04 UTC 2000

SunOS 4.1 includes a nameserver based on a really *ancient* version of
BIND, probably 4.8.3. But it's been modified by Sun, so technically it's
not 4.8.3, it's some Sun version. So your lab teacher's question is
technically unanswerable: it's not *any* version of BIND. It's a piece
of Sun software.

Those version numbers you were asking about are the version numbers for
each individual source file. They don't really tell you what the overall
BIND version is, although if you had old source archives you could
probably deduce it.

- Kevin