BIND 8.2.3-T5B and Win2kSP1 DNS: What works and what doesn't?

Shawn Barnhart swb at cmenoc.campbell-mithun.com
Mon Nov 13 01:13:30 UTC 2000

I've been having several problems getting BIND and Win2k DNS to work
together.  I'm not using Active Directory, just simple primaries and
secondaries.  Here's my summary of what works for me and what doesn't.
I'd love commentary from people using both in a mixed primary/secondary
mode.

What works for me:

Initial zone transfer Win2K Primary->Bind Secondary

Importing Bind zone files locally as Win2k primaries or secondaries

BIND notify->Win2k triggering zone transfer

Generic name resolution

What doesn't work for me:

Zone transfer Bind primary->Win2k secondary. I'll qualify -- I've gotten
it to work if I create the Win2k secondary, have it fail, stop the Win2k
DNS service, copy in the BIND zone file to the Win2k machine, restart
DNS service.  Magically Win2k accepts the secondary and will properly
perform subsequent zone transfers.

BIND secondaries to Win2k primaries seem to ignore serial number
updates.  If I delete the cache and restart, I get a zone transfer.  If
I make some change that affects the serial number I *don't* get a zone
transfer, even if I kill named and restart it.

Is there a FAQ or some guide as to how interoperable BIND and Win2k are
supposed to be?  I had always assumed that this basic interoperability
would work, but I'm at a loss as to why I've had poor luck -- I've never
had any problems with the zones I run and getting basic stuff like zone
transfers been primaries and secondaries to work.