Reverse DNS problems

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Sun Nov 12 02:10:26 UTC 2000

> > > What I find confusing is my upstream DNS provider told me to add =
an
> > > in-addr.arpa db for 32.34.219.64.in-addr.arpa, but this is=20
> the broadcast
> > > address for my little 5 usable ip subnet so there is nothing=20
> to assign to
> > > this.
> >=20
> > Ah, so you have less than a /24 and are trying to use the RFC 2317
> > technique. In this case, don't claim authority for the entire=20
> /24, but set
> > up the zone according to your provider's instructions instead.
> >=20
>=20
> Right. I had to so something similar to get my reverse to work:
>=20
> zone "0-24.137.91.207.in-addr.arpa" {
>        type master;
>        file "primary/reverse.exploreuw.net";
> };
>=20
> Note the '0-24' bit.=20

Note also that the naming convention used is decided by the parent
domain owner, usually your ISP. They decide whether to delegate to
	0-24.137...
or	0.137...
or	customername.137.
or	<something else>
	(they could even CNAME the reverse records into a customer's forward
	 zone and not delegate a separate zone!)

While RFC2317 lists a few conventions (and AFAICR suggests one as =
preferred)
the final decision is with the parent, so whoeverhas this problems
needs to talk to their parent to sort this out.

regards