Weird DNS issue

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Nov 11 03:50:06 UTC 2000

Danny Mayer wrote:

>                 The biggest problem is the potential for file corruption.  You cannot tell
>   what one part of the system is doing while the other part is doing something
>   totally different.

In the absence of Dynamic Update, named only _reads_ the master zonefiles. As long as all
updates to the file are synchronized, there should be no possibility of corruption. And don't
you think it's easier to implement this synchronization for *one* file than for many?

If, on the other hand, one is using Dynamic Update, then trying to use the same file for
multiple zones would be utterly foolish, I agree.

> Also how do you deal with the SOA record?

What's there to deal with? All of the zones have the same _relative_ SOA record, i.e. using
@ and/or relative names, just like everything else in the file. When the contents of the
zones (plural, since it's not possible to change them independently) change, then the serial
number(s) get incremented.

- Kevin