DNS Cname question

peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com peter.rose1 at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 10 20:48:01 UTC 2000

I would say this is not entirely a dns thing but simply making the
appropriate Virtual Host entries in your Apache (assuming that's your
web server)

Of course, you will need a zonefile for each domain but for the forward
mappings only (as Mathias has just told me:-)

Your logging will come from your Virtual Host Directives in Apache and I
would recommend the excellent free Analog program for analysing the
resulting logfiles - http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/

Unless I'm misunderstanding your question...

HTH

Peter Rose
London UK

In message <8uheom$cjo$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, xjayd at my-deja.com writes
>I’m hoping I can get some comments on something I’m trying to do.  I am
>still learning DNS so please bear with me..
>

>I am wanting to point 30 TLD domain names to a single web page I have
>on a virtual host.  Also, I want to be able to track the traffic that I
>receive broken down by each domain.
>
>My idea is to have cname records created for each domain as aliases of
>my web page.
>
>My questions are #1) Is this the best way to accomplish this and
>2)  Will this create referral IPs for each alias domain name so that I
>can track traffic for each?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

"I don't like your fashion business mister"
  - Leonard Cohen / First We Take Manhattan