Rejected due to errors (serial 27)

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Nov 10 11:24:47 UTC 2000

> Two things to note:
>
> First, there are no errors above the "master zone rejected" one.  In fact,
> there are no other errors in the log file.  Not even warnings.

	There were, there was one release were they were logged as info not
	error but they were logged.

	You have @ SOA, @ NS so you are not allowed to have @ CNAME.

> I guess I'm just looking for a better explanation.  Mark Andrews (the post
> after yours) stated,
>
> 	Yes, because you cannot have CNAMES and other data.  If you read
> 	RFC 1034/1035 and look at how you process cached CNAMES you will
> 	realise that this configuration can never work which is why we
> 	detect it and complain.
>
> The part that I don't understand is "other data".  What other data can't I
> have?

	Any other data except the records which cryptographically verify
	the existance of the CNAME, SIG and NXT.  All the others are
	not allowed, A, NS, SOA, MX ....

> It would also be helpful if someone could give me an example of how I should
> properly setup the zone file to forward the domain so I can implement the
> proper changes.

	The long term solution will be to add a SRV record.  In the short
	term you need to add a A record.  As your favorite web browser
	vendor for SRV support.

> -Riskable
> "I have a license to kill -9"

	Mark