Rejected due to errors (serial 27)

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Fri Nov 10 06:29:29 UTC 2000

> I'm getting an error in my log files stating...
>=20
> "master zone whatever.com" (IN) rejected due to errors (serial 27)

There should have been another error message a bit further up
the log that shows the actual error..

Anyway:

>=20
> ...this is the zone file:
>=20
> $TTL 3600
> @	IN	SOA  ournameserver.somedomain.com.=20
> techsupport.somedomain.com. (
> 			27          ; serial number
> 			3600        ; refresh
> 			600         ; retry
> 			604800      ; expire
> 			3600      ) ; minimum TTL
> @			IN	NS	ournamserver.somedomain.com.
> @			IN	NS	ournameserver2.somedomain.com.
> @			IN	CNAME	www.somedomainname.com.

This last CNAME is illegal. You canot have a CNAME and any other
data for the same label (which is what @ is), because the
CNAME is a complete alias, and says "for any query for @, redirect
it to www.somedomain.com", which practically masks the SOA
and NS records. BIND catches this and rejects the zone.

In this case you have the SOA and NS records next to the CNAME.

If you want to allow http://whatever.com, you need to publish
an A record instead of an CNAME record for this purpose.

> *			IN	CNAME	www.somedomainname.com.
>=20
>=20
> What's odd is that the CNAME forwarding works just fine.  The server =
does
> NOT report back as authoritative for the domain though.  Anyone know =
why
> this is happening?

BIND will not consider itself authoritative for any zone with errors in =
it,
to prohibit spreading of bad problems to the secondaries.