Weird DNS issue

Thomas Deliduka thomas at neweve.com
Thu Nov 9 20:42:22 UTC 2000

I don't understand this.

I have a domain setup with a zone file. We'll call it:

jones.com.

I have the zone file setup as:

jones.com.dns

That is setup generic so I can have other domains point to the same file as
pointer domains if needed.

I have two other domains:

jones.net
jones.org

These were just registered and there were no zone files originally setup for
them.  I transferred them to my server and in the named.conf file I added:

zone "jones.net" {
    type master;
    file "jones.com.dns";
};

zone "jones.org" {
    type master;
    file "jones.com.dns";
};

After a week of being on the server, .org & .com work perfectly. .net
doesn't.

The Whois database shows it pointing to the right servers.

If I do an nslookup off of my server, it appears without a problem. If I go
off of my local ISP server it gives me an error of unknown domain.

I tried updating the serial number a couple of times.

I don't know what else could be the problem.  Any ideas? Please ask me to
elaborate or clarify anything to get further information.

--

Thomas Deliduka
IT Manager