resolver problems

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 9 01:38:15 UTC 2000

Well, depending on what resolver you're running, you could try to tune your
resolver configuration to make the timeout smaller.

The only *comprehensive* solution that comes to mind, however, is to run your
own root zone when you are disconnected from the Internet. This solution would
require you to perform some sort of automatic nameserver reconfiguration every
time you connect or disconnect from the Internet.

If you wanted to get fancy with this, you could even put a wildcard entry in
the zone, directing people to a web page (telnet shell, FTP server, whatever)
informing users that the Internet connection is down and to try again later.

- Kevin