TTL value preceeding IN statement in secondary's zone files

Mathias Körber nominum at koerber.org
Tue Nov 7 01:53:36 UTC 2000

> All the zone files on my secondary nameserver have the TTL value=20
> preceeding
> the IN statement for each address. I have BIND 8.2.2 patch 5 installed =
on
> both nameservers. Why is this happening?

Because that file is a result of a zonetransfer.
When the primary nameserver loads its zone from your master zonefile,
it will use whatever TTLs it finds in the file, and for those RRs w/o
an explicit RR use the configured defaults ($TTL, minimum field (for =
BIND <9),
TTL of the first RR in the file)).
Thus, in its in-memory copy of the zone, *all* RRs will have their own
specific TTL, and this is what is being transferred via a zonetransfer
to the secondaries.=20
These just dump the data back into their backup file. They would anyway =
not have
any way of knowing which TTL was synthesized from a default, and which =
was specified
in the original master zonefile. It does not matter operationally and =
even relieves
the secondary from having to synthesize TTLs again from defaults when =
reloading the
zone from its backup file.

Nothing to worry about.