Forward Zone

Michael Colterman mcolterm at nortelnetworks.com
Mon Nov 6 21:23:12 UTC 2000

I did a quick browse through some archives and haven't been able to find the
answer to my question so I'll try here now.

If you have a forward zone what would be the purpose or benefit of having
the option forward (only | first) defined?  From the documentation I have
with BIND 8.2.3 it says "The only value causes the lookup to fail after
trying the forwarders and getting no answer, while first would allow a
normal lookup to be tried."  Having first wouldn't allow a normal update
because it is a forward zone, right?

I am not understanding the need for these options in a forward zone.

Thanks for your help.

Mike