converting from firewall based nameserver

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Thu Nov 2 14:25:13 UTC 2000

Hello,

We are changing firewalls, from Raptor to Cisco PIX.  The Raptor insisted that
it be the authority for our zones, that it be the master name server.

I have installed bind, notified the Internic, and made every other change
necessary to implement this move.  However, when my new name server sends out
the NOTIFY messages the secondaries (rightly) ignore the update and log:

Nov  2 06:14:27 barley named[343]: NOTIFY from non-master server (zone
mydomain.com), from [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx].1040

The raptor firewall will not enter a new "master" nameserver - which it
considers a insecure practice <insert snide comment about insecure to their
market share>.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get around this?

We have to leave the Raptor firewall up until the transition is complete.

  Michael Rasmussen - mikeraz at patch.com
 Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
 email to pager:  pagemike at patch.com