Class B DNS Configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Nov 2 04:46:10 UTC 2000

Abid Latif Sheikh wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I am new to this mailing list and for the first time writing this email.
> I need to configure first a DNS for Class B addresses i.e.
>
> 172.28.0.0 and will be using the 172.28.0.X and 172.28.1.X for my
> intranet only.
>
> Q1. I am fimiliar with 4.X version of BIND how can I do in that.
>
> Q2. I am starting to install the new 8.X version and which URL will help
> me in starting to configure/start BIND from crash.

(From scratch, you mean?)

I don't know of any documentation which specifically addresses the
migration from BIND 4 to BIND 8.

But you shouldn't need to configure BIND from *scratch*. There is a
conversion utility -- named-bootconf.pl -- to make a named.conf file from a
named.boot file. And the master file format is upwardly compatible
(although you may wish to put a $TTL directive at the top of each master
file to prevent warnings in the logs at load time and to be more compatible
with BIND 9 if and when you migrate to it). See BIND 8's documentation of
master file format for details on the syntax of $TTL.

What's most likely to bite you, moving from BIND 4 to BIND 8, is anything
"illegal" that you have done in your master files. Like "CNAME and other
data", multiple CNAMEs, strangely-formatted SOA records, underscores,
things like that. BIND 8 is much less forgiving of such things.

- Kevin