Partition sizes for DNS server?

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Mon May 29 00:01:31 UTC 2000

Martin 'Goran' Moravec wrote:

> > I think you have a typo somewhere in your above list.  /etc should not
> > be a filesystem.  /usr should.
> >
> why not /etc? what about set it up and mounting it RO?!

the /etc directory contains files wihch are necessary for the boot
process and therefore must be a part of the root filesystem.
Files like /etc/fstab which contain the instructions for mounting
all of the other filesystems must be present for the mount task
when it runs during the system boot process.

> Read FHS!

I did.  I assume you are talking about the Multi-Disk-HOWTO.  It is
the only reference I can find to FHS.  It says nothing about separating
/etc from /.  In fact, in section 7 it says not to.

Harold