Whats the Real Meaning of "Bad Refferal"?

peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.dot..nu
Sat May 27 13:33:50 UTC 2000

Dear BIND experts :
I thought i know bind. But one thing puzzles me still, the
message "Bad refferral" in the logfiles.

I don't seem to be able to reproduce it at the site that has this,
and i have read the sources and all dokumentation i have.

My current guess goes like this :

Server A asks server B "whats the address of xxx.yyy ?"
B returns not an 'A' record but a referral to another server,
which is further up (or sideways) in the domain tree.

The format of the error message gives me no hint however.

Someone that can spread some light for me (and possibly others )?

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)