Okay, I cannot take it any more.

Daniel Roesen droesen at entire-systems.com
Fri May 26 08:28:59 UTC 2000

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 10:16:25PM -0500, Marcus Kennedy wrote:
> The first thing is that I am not a full class C network.  I am a
> branch of Cable One of Alabama.  This, I fear is part of my problem.

No. This has nothing to do with forward resolving, just with reverse.

> I cannot determine if they have correctly broken me off in their DNS
> server.

No, they did it utterly wrong.

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @ns1.cableone.net. 222.15.116.24.in-addr.arpa. any +norec
[...]
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
222.15.116.24.in-addr.arpa.  23h59m23s
   IN NS dns0.ancdf.org.15.116.24.in-addr.arpa.

They obviously don't understand RFC2317 (Classless DNS Reverse Delegation).

A good description is found at: http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/00007.htm

> I have 5 (really 6) IP addresses:  24.116.15.217-222.  I
> re-registered the domain ANCDF.ORG to two of these addresses 218 & 219.
> I have my primary DNS on 218 and my secondary on 219 with both having
> the same information (I'm new to DNS, so if that is incorrect let me
> know).

It's technically OK, but very unwise to have all nameservers on the
same network. If you network connection breaks, ancdf.org falls off
DNS completely.

@     IN  SOA localhost. root.localhost.
> 			NS	ancdf.org.
          NS  localhost.

@ IN  SOA dns0.ancdf.org. postmaster.ancdf.org. (

> zone "ancdf.org" {
> 	type master;
> 	file "zone/ancdf.org";
> };

Looks OK. Take a look into you system log and see wether there are
any warnings/errors when restarting BIND. Both your nameservers are
not answering authoritatively for ancdf.org, so the zone was not
loaded.

> zone "15.116.24.in-addr.arpa" {
> 	type master;
> 	file "zone/24.116.15";
> };

Wrong, as you're not authoritative for the whole 24.116.15.0/24, only
for you subnet zone (24.116.15.216/29).

best regards,
Daniel