8.2.2-p5, forward & reverse for localhost

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 25 14:48:27 UTC 2000

In article <200005250433.AAA29812 at world.std.com>,
Kenneth W Cochran  <kwc at world.std.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm running bind-8.2.2-p5, (supposedly) configured as cache-only.
>My machine (FreeBSD 4.0) generally dials-up & gets a dynamic ip-address.
>
>What do I need to set-up to properly forward & reverse-map localhost?
>
>If I type "host localhost" I get "host not found."
>If I type "host 127.0.0.1" (or 127.1) I get "domain pointer
>localhost" just as it "should."
>
>For some reason, I'm not "getting" what's in books/doc.  Pointers welcome.

There's no localhost top-level domain.  Normally, people put a host named
"localhost" in their own domain.  When someone types "localhost", their
resolver first looks up localhost.<default-domain>, which resolves to
127.0.0.1 because of that entry.  Since you're running a caching-only
server, you're not involved in that -- you should put it in whatever domain
you have configured as your default domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA