question

Gary Wardell gwardell at Yeshua.cc
Thu May 25 04:45:58 UTC 2000

Hi,

On Sunday, May 21, 2000 3:47 AM, Grant Rosenthal
[SMTP:grantr at pipeline.on.ca] wrote:
> running bind 8.2.2p5, WinNT4, sp6a.
>  in my event viewer on service startup I see the following two messages:
>
> unix control "%DESTRUN%/ndc" socket failed: Unknown error
>
> ctl_server: socket: Unknown error

These two errors are normal and benign on an NT machine.  I am running NT
4.0 sp3 and get these and named still runs correctly.

> When I open a command shell and execute nslookup, I get the follwing
error:

> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.16: Non-existent domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server:  UnKnown
> Address:  192.168.1.16

I use another tool instaed of nslookup so I'm wondering where nslookup gets
the default nameserver address from.  If it's your TCP/IP settings I'm
wondering if you have those set right and if named is binding to the
address you have in those settings.  I set mine to bind to a specific
address in named.conf since I have a multi homed server and I only wanted
named on one ip.

Purhaps if you showed us your named.conf file we could be of more help.

Gary