tuning the timeout for reverse lookups

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 24 22:30:25 UTC 2000

In article <392C3EAA.94539FD4 at yahoo.com>,
what ? ...say what ...yo yo yo <efun4u at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know of a tuning parameter to limit the amount of time a
>bind 8.2.2 p5  server waits before timing out when attempting a reverse
>lookup? It seems by default to wait 60 seconds.

AFAIK, named never performs reverse lookups.  It simply answers queries
that it receives from clients, and it treats PTR queries the same as any
others.  There's no way to tune the timeout for specific types of queries.

>This is a problem because sendmail server will attempt to do a reverse
>lookup on the mail server originating the mail message before it will
>accept the incoming message. If bind waits sixty seconds before giving
>up sendmail will timeout before bind and the mail will not be relayed.

What do you want to happen instead?  If BIND timed out more quickly,
sendmail still wouldn't get an answer, so it will still refuse to relay.

You should fix your reverse DNS servers so that they respond quickly, and
then your users should be able to use your relay.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA