bind-8.2.3-T2B after zone transfer error

Andrew J Cole A.J.Cole at cbl.leeds.ac.uk
Wed May 24 08:10:17 UTC 2000

>> Received no replies to this one.  In retrospect I confounded the issue
>> slightly by the twaddle at the end relating to "_"s.
>>
>> However we have seen another zone problem with the ac.uk zone today
>> (server is currently running 8.2.3-T5B) ...
>>
>> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
>> om of zone: ies.lmu.ac.uk/NS
>> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
>> om of zone: ies.lmu.ac.uk/NS
>> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
>> om of zone: mis.lmu.ac.uk/NS
>> May 23 15:24:13 cblslca named[80]: zone: ac.uk/IN: non-glue record below bott
>> om of zone: mis.lmu.ac.uk/NS
>> May 23 15:24:14 cblslca named[80]: slave zone "ac.uk" (IN) rejected due to er
>> rors (serial 2000052305)
>>
>> the previous serial which was ok was 2000052301.
>
>	This is the result of a bug in the master
>
> 990.   [bug]           we could loose track of a bottom of zone cut if the
>			write buffer filled up at just the correct moment.

Oops.. I neglected to update the Subject: the problem spotted yesterday
was spotted with 8.2.3-T5B which included 999 according to CHANGES.

>> Obviously the contents of the ac.uk zone file is a matter for the
>> maintainers of ac.uk but what is more concerning to me is that after
>> one of these failures to load we immediatly start to see errors for our
>> own zone lookups (the server is slaving leeds.ac.uk)...
>>
>> May 23 15:24:34 cblslca popper[23286]: warning: can't verify hostname: gethos
>> tby
>> name(food-pc81.leeds.ac.uk) failed
>
>	I really believe that this is totally unrelated to the purging of
>	non-glue.  The basic code for purging of non-glue uses the same
>	framework as the general purging of a zone when reload / removing
>	a zone, i.e. they use the same function to detect when they have
>	encountered another zone in the database.  The only way this
>	function fails is if there is an invalid zone with no SOA record.

Yesterday (and previously when I hit the same problem with T2B - my
the gethostbyname failures started immediatly after the error message
and it was necessary to update the named.conf and stop/start named.

Andrew