Sub Domains

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 22 14:36:00 UTC 2000

In article <6xknOe4f2Fk6J1noAXSFKWn923SX at 4ax.com>,
S Glad  <sjglad at yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 17 May 2000 16:09:03 -0700, Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net>
>wrote:
>>Then configure the virtual hosts in your web server the same way you would
>>if they were two unrelated domains.
>
>I don't understand this part. With a normal domain the INDEX.HTML file
>is the "startup file" for the web page. How do you define what the
>"startup file"  is for the sub domain?

How you configure virtual servers depends on the web server software you're
using.  If it's IIS there's a place in the GUI where you do it, if it's
Apache there's probably an httpd.conf file that you edit.  The folks over
in the appropriate comp.infosystems.www.servers.* newsgroup would be able
to help you.  Or just try reading the documentation for your web server;
I'm sure if you look up "virtual hosts" (or something similar) in its Index
you'll find the precise instructions.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA