Network Solutions Misery

Jay C Austad JCA at BigCharts.com
Fri May 19 23:10:02 UTC 2000

We too had the same problem.  Our company name changed from Concerto to Bigcharts, to CBS Marketwatch.  We filled out the change form and it took 2 months, well over 10 phone calls, arguing with teenage phone reps, and faxing the form 6 times to get it changed.  And we purchased the "premier service" where they are supposed to take care of it within 2 or 3 days.  Several emails were sent to them, and only one was ever answered, and that took at least a week and a half.

----------
Jay Austad
Network Administrator
CBS Marketwatch
612.817.1271
jaustad at bigcharts.com
http://cbs.marketwatch.com
http://www.bigcharts.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Tipton [mailto:uther at tns.utk.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 3:02 PM
To: GeekGrrl
Cc: Bob Van Cleef; comp-protocols-dns-bind at uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: Network Solutions Misery

> Your son's opinion and experiences, and mine, are obviously different. One
> does not necessarily invalidate the other. I too am an internet
> professional. As with anything else, persons shopping for domain
> registrations should do their research and comparisons appropriately. I
> did, and am satisfied. As I stated before, I can't speak to trouble issues
> because I haven't had any.

this is a very interesting discussion.  i work for a large univeristy
(the university of tennessee) which has recently reorganized.  we changed
our name from: the university of tennessee at knoxville,
	the university of tennessee of memphis and
	the university of tennessee space institute
to: the university of tennessee.

our domains are utk.edu, utsi.edu and utmen.edu which we want to change
to tennessee.edu and utn.edu.  we have found network solutions to be
totally unhelpful.  on the average it has taken them FIVE WEEKS! to
respond to e-mail and then it usually is a form that does not answer
our requests.  we cannot go somewhere else as they are the only ones
who register edu domains.

NSI - the best argument against monopolies,