two nameservers

Ridhuan Jaafar ridhuan at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri May 19 20:57:37 UTC 2000

On Fri, 19 May 2000, David Stern wrote:

#:We have two nameservers running BIND 8.8.2p. One is inside our network
#:and the other is in a DMZ. The one on the outside has been registered
#:and I've set up the internal one st zones aren't transferred. Basically,
#:anyone on the outside will do queries on the external NS and people
#:inside use the internal one.
#:
#:1/ Because the internal one originally was our primary, we set pinholes
#:   in a firewall for port 53. Can we remove these now or are they still
#:   necessary for people inside querying for domains that we don't have
#:   authority on?
#:

Yes, you can remove it. Set your firewall to act as caching
nameserver and point it to your internal nameserver. No specific
need to be created. It works well on ours.

All your client inside the firewall should be able to query any address
inside and outside your firewall.

Regards,
Ridhuan.