two nameservers

David Stern dstern at tsi-telsys.com
Fri May 19 18:08:42 UTC 2000

We have two nameservers running BIND 8.8.2p. One is inside our network
and the other is in a DMZ. The one on the outside has been registered
and I've set up the internal one st zones aren't transferred. Basically,
anyone on the outside will do queries on the external NS and people
inside use the internal one.

1/ Because the internal one originally was our primary, we set pinholes
   in a firewall for port 53. Can we remove these now or are they still
   necessary for people inside querying for domains that we don't have
   authority on?

2/ Turning on debugging (kill -WINCH) still show an occasional query
   from outside to the internal nameserver. And in fact, I can connect
   from outside to the inside NS and ask about a particular host it
   knows about that the outside/official nameserver doesn't. Can this
   be stopped?

 David Stern                                    TSI TelSys
 Manager, Information Systems                   410-872-3906