TXT records and nslookup

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Sun May 7 20:04:42 UTC 2000

> I at home completing the files for our DNS server.
> I thought it would be neat to document the DNS setup by using
> TXT records, but noticed UUnet didn't use them when they keep
> our DNS.

Didn't use them how?  Did they delete them?  Or did you
expect them to do something particular with the TXT records?

> Using nslookup is it possible to extract the TXT information?
> I wouldn't like to put "NT 4 database server" in  a TXT record
> if that's readable over the net. (Yes, you may call me paranoid).

% nslookup -q=txt <domain name>

> As I said, I haven't tried this yet as I am home, so any comments
> as to wether TXT records are available through nslookup queries
> are appreciated.

Of course they are.  They're just like any other record type in
a zone.

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.