/etc/resolv.conf

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 18 22:48:04 UTC 2000

In article <027a01bfc118$737d2360$57a0aec7 at pelican.mindspring.com>,
Rick Francis <rfrancis at mindspring.com> wrote:
>why does a dns client complain (in syslog) that it doesn't have a nameserver
>entry for loopback in /etc/resolv.conv? and when included, what does the
>entry actually do? and, should it be immediately after the domain name or
>could it be last in the list?

I'm not familiar with the log message you're referring to.  Could you quote
it exactly?  You should only have a "nameserver 127.0.0.1" entry in
/etc/resolv.conf if you're actually running named on the local machine
(i.e. it's a DNS server as well as a client).  The position in the list
depends on whether you want to try the local server first, or only if one
of the other servers doesn't respond.  The local server is likely to
respond faster for things already in its cache, but a common server that
all your machines use is likely to have more things already cached, so it
may be faster in the long run.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA