Secondary server on primary

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu May 18 17:30:01 UTC 2000

    Jason> Hi there, Here's something thats got me thinking.  On our
    Jason> primary namserver, have another domain setup as a secondary
    Jason> in our named.boot file.  Does bind actually write a copy of
    Jason> their zone file somewhere?  We listed in the named.boot
    Jason> file that it would be something like this:

    Jason> secondary domain.com 0.0.0.0 secondary/db.domain.com

    Jason> Now it *should* write a copy of their db file in the
    Jason> /etc/namedb/secondary directory, but it is not.  Any
    Jason> suggestions?

There are two explanations. One is your name server config file could
be broken. Maybe it refers to a non-existent directory or has a syntax
error. The other is that the zone transfer is failing, either because
the master (primary) server is broken or there's some sort of
connectivity problem. For either of these possibilities, there should
be a suitable error message in the logs.

BTW, you should be running BIND8. BIND4 is *very* dead.