Other than KILL?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 16 19:36:49 UTC 2000

One common technique is to do a normal kill (-TERM) followed a few seconds
later by "hard" kill (-KILL). That way you give the daemon a chance to
terminate normally, but still "guarantee" the kill if it doesn't (actually even
a "hard" kill can fail if the process is executing a buggy/misbehaved kernel
call, but I've never seen an unkillable named).

One caveat: on a really, *REALLY* busy system, I suppose it's theoretically
possible that you might end up killing the wrong process with this technique
(if the PID's wrapped in those few seconds)....

- Kevin