DNS Problem...other servers say "Server Failed"

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue May 16 17:06:56 UTC 2000

In article <8fr1tk$gcf$1 at srvlis16.teleweb.pt>,
SMILER <smiler at pthost.com> wrote:
>Hi, I wish that someone can help me with this issue :
>
>I am running Linux kernel 2.2.13-7 and I am having some trouble with DNS.
>I have setup my domain "somedomain.com" and if I run nslookup and connect to
>my server it will reply correctly to any queries (referring to my domain,
>and referring to other domains).
>Now the problem is that if I go to any other dns server on the internet and
>I do set q=ns and query my domain the answer will be :
>
>somedomain.com nameserver = my dns server´s ip address.

The answer should be your server's name, not its IP address.  But I don't
think any .COM registrars will let you delegate a domain to an IP address
instead of a name, so I don't think this is actually what you meant to say.

>So I assume that the delegation is correct. But if I try to query any
>address in my domain such as :
>
>> www.somedomain.com
>
>the other servers will return the error :
>
>*** ns.someserver.com can´t find www.somedomain.com: Server Failed
>
>So I assume that other nameservers can´t connect to my namservers to
>retrieve the info...is this correct ?? Am I confused ? Can anyone tell me
>what´s going wrong ?
>Thanks in advance.
>Keep Smiling.

You've left out the most important piece of information: your real domain
name.  I'm assuming somedomain.com is not it, because I have no trouble
looking up www.somedomain.com:

% host www.somedomain.com
www.somedomain.com has address 12.8.12.79

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net