FW: zone delegation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 16 01:41:48 UTC 2000

ANG Choon Gei (CSC) wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  What if I do subzone delegation? Is my below configuration correct?
>
> The registered primary DNS (166.22.1.1) server is running BIND v4 with this
> named.boot.
>
> directory       /etc/name
>
> primary         abc.com                 abc.db
> primary         def.com                         def.db
> secondary       test.abc.com    166.22.2.1      xyz.db
> primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa            lookback.db
> cache           .                               cache.db
>
> For the secondary(or slave) server (166.22.2.1) is running BIND v8 and it is
> configured as follows :
>
> options {
>         directory       "/etc/name"
>         };
>
> zone "." in {
>         type hint;
>         file "cache.db"
>         }
>
> zone "xyz.db" in {

This should probably be

zone "abc.com" in {

shouldn't it?

>         type slave;
>         file "xyz.db";
>         masters {166.22.1.1;};
>         };
>
> zone "test.abc.com" in {
>         type masters;

Slight misspelling. Should be

    type master;

>         file "test.abc.db";
> };
>
> Please advise me.

Of course, there is more than just named.boot/named.conf configuration
involved: you should create the appropriate entries in the zone files as well.
The subzone will require, at the very least, an SOA record and at least one
NS record. Also, if you want other nameservers besides the master and slave to
be able to iteratively resolve names in the test.abc.com zone, then the parent
needs to delegate the subzone via NS records.

- Kevin