forwarding zone on BIND 8.2.2-P5

Toby Chappell sysatc at evoken.gsu.edu
Mon May 15 15:05:02 UTC 2000

I am trying to setup a forwarding zone for both forward and reverse
records with BIND 8.2.2-P5 on Solaris 2.6. (We want the requests to be
forward only; we do not want to act as a secondary for the zone).

I can verify by snooping the network connection on my name server that
the request for "A" records is being forwarded to the real name server,
but when I try to resolve an IP address into a name I get "non-existent
host/domain", and there is no traffic between the name server and the
server the request should be forwarded to.

(I am experimenting with this on a "dummy" name server that only knows has
an entry for itself and the zone I am trying to forward)>

Here is part of my named.conf file:

//
// Zone CS.Gsu.EDU
//
zone "CS.Gsu.EDU" {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders {
                131.96.22.199;   // turing.cs.gsu.edu
        };
};

//
// Zone 22.96.131.in-addr.arpa
//
zone "22.96.131.in-addr.arpa" {
        type forward;
        forward only;
        forwarders {
			131.96.22.199;  // turing.cs.gsu.edu
        };
};

This is the transcript of an nslookup session:

{0}evoken:/usr/local/etc# nslookup
Default Server:  ns2.Gsu.EDU
Address:  131.96.1.6

> server evoken
Default Server:  evoken.gsu.edu
Address:  131.96.32.182

> tinman.cs
Server:  evoken.gsu.edu
Address:  131.96.32.182

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    tinman.cs.gsu.edu
Address:  131.96.22.43

> 131.96.22.43
Server:  evoken.gsu.edu
Address:  131.96.32.182

*** evoken.gsu.edu can't find 131.96.22.43: Non-existent host/domain

Like I said, from snoop I can see a communication between evoken and
turing.cs when I try to resolve tinman.cs, but I see no communication when
I try to resolve 131.96.22.43.

I do see a rather cryptic message in my logs:

May 12 15:37:03 evoken named[1961]:
     XX+/131.96.32.182/43.22.96.131.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ?

thanks
toby
--
Toby Chappell                                               Georgia State Univ.
Lead Software System Engineer                                  Atlanta, Georgia