bind8.2 - db file on another server than master

Martin G. McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon May 15 14:34:55 UTC 2000

	I have had our site set up to use an unpublished primary
dns for a couple of years or more now.  It works perfectly.  The
main thing to keep in mind is that the official master dns for
your location can be a slave to some other dns, (the unpublished
primary).  Our official master and official slave domain name
servers are actually almost identical twins with the true master
hidden away.

	The only thing I do that is a little non-standard is to
contact our official master dns and call for a reload just after
updating the unpublished primary so that the official master will
update as soon as possible.

	Be sure to make sure that your official master, the one
that's really a slave to the unpublished master, can only accept
updates from that unpublished master.  Hint;  ssh and expect are
wonderful adjuncts to controlling a setup like this.

Martin McCormick 405 744-7572   Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information services Data Communications Group