Internal DNS Help...

Ryan Booz ryanbooz at alumni.psu.edu
Mon May 15 01:47:28 UTC 2000

I've been on the list for about a week and I'm trying to do what I think

is really simple, but I'm obviously missing something.  I teach at a
school and want to make an internal domain that the students can use but

not broadcast it to the world as not to mess anything up.  I have a
primary server that is doing caching for us right now.

I have a fake domain set up at the moment (linux.bogus as per the
HowTO....just for now) and have gotten it to work.  If I type
"booz.linux.bogus" at a client computer set to use this server for DNS,
it finds that machine in my network.  However, I can't take it the next
step, just having the students type "booz" (or http://booz).  On the DNS

server I can do that through nslookup and it works, still spits back the

IP address.  However, not on the other machine.  My resolv.conf file is
set to search "linux.bogus" first, but this doesn't seem to work for the

client computers.  The whole reason I think it would be nice to just
have the students type one name is that a lot of them, especially the
younger kids, wouldn't then get confused and think we are actually on
the web.  Am I making sense?

One that note I have one last question, what are acceptable internal
domain names to use?  I've read the RFC that talks about the 4 testing
TLDs, but I still don't know what to actually call my "fake" domain.  If

I'm not actually broadcasting outside of here, can it be anything?

Thank you in advance.  I can see this list is very busy, and I have no
doubt that this has probably been answered before, but a lot of
searching only brought some answers (like the RFC thing).

Ryan Booz
Belleville Mennonite School, Tech Coordinator