Newbye doubt... I can't find help in any FAQ's

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Sat May 13 07:00:41 UTC 2000

c3lt4 wrote:

>    I'd like to know what happens if after I create a DNS entry with Granite
> Cayon, my ISP desn't accept to re-delegate the in-addr domain ?

What is it you're *expecting* to happen? If you told us your domain name
and what you're trying to do, someone might be able to help.

>     It still redirect all trafic for mydomain.com to my static IP ?

DNS has little to do with (HTTP) redirection. Names in your domain will
resolve to IP addresses according to the zone file on your authoritative
name servers.

> My ISP refuses to re-delegate
> it.

Then either let them handle reverse DNS for you, or switch to another ISP.

> The first idea was to run my own primary DNS server, but I don't know if
> I can run it whithout having control over my in-addr domain.

You can very well run a primary DNS server for your *forward* zones
without having been delegated authority for any *reverse* zones. However,
even if you set up an authoritative server for a zone, the outside world
won't be able to find that zone on your server unless authority has been
properly delegated.

Thor

--
Plain old email is very insecure. Please make it
a little safer for yourself and me by using PGP.