can timeout -> nxd

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri May 12 15:11:43 UTC 2000

In article <200005121248.WAA24925 at bsdi.dv.isc.org>,
 <Mark.Andrews at nominum.com> wrote:

>> freebsd 4.0-stable
>> bind 8.2.2-P5
>>
>> is it possible that a caching-only server is returning NXDOMAIN when a
>> lookup times out?
>
>	No.

To expand on Mark's terse answer, when a caching server times out trying to
perform a recursive query, it will return a SERVFAIL error.

It's possible that the API used by an application may not distinguish these
cases, or the API might distinguish them but the application doesn't.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA