BIND8NT not listening on any interface

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Fri May 12 11:48:16 UTC 2000

At 12:13 02.05.00 -0400 [a long time ago, but I haven't seen any answers
to that so far] Gary Wardell wrote:
>I have two NIC cards, one to a DSL router and one to an internal,
>non-routable, LAN
>
>When I boot normally with both NIC cards the event log says that named is
>"not listening on any interfaces".
>
>If I disable the internal NIC through the bindings in the network control
>panel so that only the WAN NIC is active and then reboot the system a
>message is logged saying named is "listening on [209.147.72.35].53 (NdisWan
>Adapter) " which is correct and it responds to local queries on that IP.

That's strange. If it is a NIC why does NT report it as an NdisWan
adapter? Does your machine have RAS connections configured too?
Perhaps there is an IP address conflict between one of your RAS
devices and the WAN NIC?

>  When it says it's not listening it doesn't respond to queries.
>
>My conf file that I am using for testing has the following:
>
>options
>{
>  directory "d:\winnt\system32\dns\etc";
>         notify no;
>         fetch-glue no;
>         listen-on { 209.147.72.35; };
>};

You are telling it explicitly to listen only on the WAN NIC, so it
is not surprising that it does not listen on your internal NIC even
if it is enabled. Did you try without the "listen-on" clause?

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)