I need some basics explained

lauren_fanthome at my-deja.com lauren_fanthome at my-deja.com
Fri May 12 00:05:14 UTC 2000

Hi,

I don't understand the way the internet is set up.  If a person has a
web server at home, then the world can dial in if they type the IP
address in their browser.  It is my understanding that a DNS is
necessary to convert that number into a domain name that is much nicer
to type in for the user.

My question: why can't you directly register with one of these DNS
things without going through an internet service provider.

Hmmm, one more thing.  Is there a more appropriate place to be asking
this question?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.