a few questions

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 11 23:48:55 UTC 2000

In article <fZGS4.52702$g4.1441990 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
John Riehl <riehl.nospam at earthlink.net> wrote:

>I am relatively new to working with dns & bind.
>
>I have a new server in a new location, replacing a bunch of domains formerly
>hosted elsewhere.  the dns server at the old location has updated the ip
>addresses to reflect the new location.  However, I am having a problem with
>certain services which seem to be related to the reverse domain lookup.   My
>question is when a reverse lookup is performed, which dns is being contacted
>for the reverse lookup?  (the original dns for the sites, or is it to a dns
>in the new ip range?).    (I am stuck in bureaucracy trying to get the dns
>moved).

Reverse lookups generally take place when a machine receives a connection.
It will perform a reverse lookup of the source address of the connection.
So it will perform a reverse lookup of an address in the new IP range, and
it will contact the DNS server that the new range is delegated to.

>second question,  on the new system, I have set up bind (latest & greatest).
>I am getting some errors like this:
>May 11 13:55:25 speedy named[397]: ns_forw: sendto([210.176.152.18].53):
>Operation not permitted
>May 11 14:03:48 speedy named[397]: ns_forw: sendto([198.41.0.10].53):
>Operation not permitted
>May 11 14:20:22 speedy named[397]: ns_forw: sendto([198.41.0.10].53):
>Operation not permitted
>May 11 14:20:57 speedy named[397]: ns_forw: sendto([210.176.152.18].53):
>Operation not permitted
>I suspect that it is related to the fact that I havent gotten this listed as
>a dns from internic but I am unsure.  what is an forward operation, why
>would my server being doing it  (the server is primarily a virtual hosting
>web server).

Those are the addresses of M.GTLD-SERVERS.NET and J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET, a COM
and root server, respectively.  ns_forw() is used when your server needs to
query some other server to fulfill a request.  I'm not sure what would
cause "Operation not permitted", though.  The queries to the root servers
can take place even if no one is querying you, since one of the first
things that named does when it starts up is contact a root server to update
its root server list.  The COM lookup could be due to trying to fetch glue
records (you can disable this with the "fetch-glue no" option).

>I am reading the bind o'reilly book as fast as I can.  any jump-to hints
>would be appreciated.

You won't find this obscure error in any reference.  It seems to me that
something is going wrong internally within the TCP/IP stack.  Are you
running the latest version of BIND?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA