chroot, Solaris and zone transfers

James Hall-Kenney James.Hall-Kenney at sytec.co.nz
Tue May 9 21:54:14 UTC 2000

I have scanned the archives and seen some discussion on this but haven't
seen an answer that works for me.

BIND 8.2.2-P5, Solaris 2.6 w/recommend patch cluster applied from April 18
2000.

I am running 2 instances of named, "public" and "dmz" on the same host, each
bound to its own interface. Named is started using:
$BINDIR/sbin/named -t /var/named/public -b /etc/named.conf -u named -g named
1>/dev/console 2>&1
$BINDIR/sbin/named -t /var/named/dmz -b /etc/named.conf -u named -g named
1>/dev/console 2>&1

The master zones all load fine and give authorative answers to SOA queries.
However, a zone, "sytecsecure.co.nz" is defined on the dmz instance as a
slave from the master on the public instance.  When a zone transfer occurs I
get the following log entry:
09-May-2000 19:30:18.001 xfer-in: info: Err/TO getting serial# for
"sytecsecure.co.nz"
and the zone transfer fails.

In addition, I get errors on the system console "ld.so.1 internal: malloc
failed".

Diagnostic steps to date:
- Initially, I had left some of the libraries from /usr/lib out, so I did an
ldd -d named-xfer and copied the listed files to /var/named/dmz/usr/lib.
- When this didn't work, I copied all of /usr/lib into
/var/named/dmz/usr/lib (disk schmisk).  Same result.
- I attempted a static compile of named so that I could get a statically
compiled named-xfer but it failed with duplicate references in nslookup (has
been mentioned prior on this list).
- Using nslookup I am able to query the dmz server for SOA records hosted
only on the public instance (ie query traffic gets through).
- I am able to perform the zone transfers manually when not chrooted using
named-xfer.

I thought that the malloc might indicate a lack of memory but the summary
details from "top" are:
last pid: 27347;  load averages:  0.05,  0.03,  0.04
08:53:53
32 processes:  31 sleeping, 1 on cpu
CPU states: 97.0% idle,  0.4% user,  2.0% kernel,  0.6% iowait,  0.0% swap
Memory: 128M real, 1996K free, 40M swap in use, 88M swap free

Has anyone got any suggestions before I delve into trussing etc which is all
new to me?
If anyone has a statically linked named.xfer for Solaris 2.6 or steps to
compile statically, I would be keen to try it out.

TIA

James

James Hall-Kenney
Sytec Resources Limited

Phone:	+64 4 473-5805
Mobile:	+64 21 519-988
Email:	Mailto:jhall at sytec.co.nz
WWW: 	http://www.sytec.co.nz

Important:  This electronic mail message and attachments (if any) are
confidential and may be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended
recipient please contact us immediately and destroy this message.  You may
not legally copy, disclose, disseminate or use the contents in any way.
Thank you.