SOA and trailing dot

James Raftery james-bind-users at banba.ucd.ie
Thu May 4 17:12:47 UTC 2000

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 03:43:03AM +0200, Jens Kristian Søgaard wrote:
> It's a bad idea, I would say. It doesn't prevent your server from
> functioning right here and now -- but it would be harder to find the
> contact info, if someone discover a subtle error somewhere. But then,
> contact info is listed in the whois database anyways.

There isn't always a WHOIS server with information about any given
domain. In those cases the SOA contact mailbox is very useful. I'd
suggest that people always use a real mailbox in their SOAs for that
exact reason.
Memo to self: double check my zones to see if the SOAs are pointing at
the right place...

Regards,

james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)  -  Programmer Hostmaster  -  IE TLD Hostmaster
   IE Domain Registry  -  www.domainregistry.ie  -  (+353 1) 706 2375