Root servers

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu May 4 15:28:08 UTC 2000

In article <20000504105923.B19107 at banba.domainregistry.ie>,
James Raftery  <james-bind-users at banba.ucd.ie> wrote:
>On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 12:39:33AM -0700, Ed Sawicki wrote:
>> Is there a way to find out about some of the
>> others - like a.root-servers.net?
>
>http://www.nsol.com/news/2000/pr_20000420.html
>
>> the other 12 root servers and how long does it take to
>> update all 12 once the master sends its notify to the
>> slaves.
>
>Probably not very long - the root zone isn't terribly big (60K).
>It's at ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/root.zone if you'd like a
>look!

A better question is how long the COM TLD takes to transfer.  My guess is
that they don't use zone transfer for it, but instead use FTP or SCP to
transfer the compressed com.zone.gz file.  A few years ago, when the
com.zone.gz file was still in the above directory, it took me a couple of
hours to download it, so I figure downloading the uncompressed file would
have taken the better part of a day, and a zone transfer would be similar
(perhaps only half as long, since there's lots of whitespace in the file,
zone transfers just transfer the names and binary data for the other
fields).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA